Who We Are
Siembra NC is an organization of Latinx people defending our rights & building power “with papers and without papers” with member leadership teams in Alamance, Durham, Forsyth, Guilford, Orange and Randolph counties, established in 2017.
What We Believe
As a hub affiliate of Mijente, we are:
- pro-working class
because our communities are all of those things and more
What We Do
- We work to limit sheriff-ICE collaboration
- We support families impacted by ICE detention with one-to-one detention navigation
- We run a 24-hour ICE defense hotline across ten counties
- Administer a Family Solidarity Fund that provides emergency cash assistance to people impacted by ICE detentions
- We run ICE Watch programs that train people with driver’s license to be “verifiers” to create “ICE Free Zones” in our neighborhoods, train our people on how to defend their rights,
- We fight against immigrant wage theft
- We organize Latinx voters to elect candidates & win policies that are aligned with our vision for a life with dignity for all.
Our Accomplishments in 2019
Limiting Sheriff-ICE Collaboration
- Won new policies by the sheriff in Forsyth County limiting sheriff-ICE collaboration, and convinced Guilford County Sheriff Danny Rogers to reverse his support for HB 370.
- Was part of a successful statewide campaign to convince Gov. Roy Cooper to veto HB 370, which would have required sheriffs to work with ICE, including bringing over 110 immigrant community members from six counties to stand against the NC Sheriffs Association
Standing with Our Communities Against ICE
- Supported 59 families impacted by ICE detention, Including distributing over $45,000 in emergency cash assistance
- Referred hundreds of callers to our 24-hour hotline to reliable criminal and immigration attorneys
- Trained over 340 people with driver’s licenses to be ICE Watch verifiers
Building Immigrant Worker Power
- Supported immigrant worker wage theft campaigns that won over $60,000 in back pay and damages for our members
Building Power “With or Without Papers”
- Knocked hundreds of Latinx voters’ doors in Durham to win the largest housing bond referendum in NC history, which will provide $95 million for affordable housing
Siembra NC is fiscally sponsored by Mijente Support Committee.